2019 Wisconsin Interagency Council on Homelessness Annual Report to the Governor and State Legislature
Vision Statement & Statewide Plan
By adopting this plan and the strategies it contains, the Wisconsin Interagency Council on Homelessness is endorsing a vision for homeless services. That vision is built on the following pillars:
1) The Wisconsin Interagency Council on Homelessness adheres to a Housing First mindset which assumes all Wisconsinites are housing ready. Housing First is a mindset, not a program. The Council must recognize it as a part of a diverse set of strategies necessary to addressing all forms of homelessness.
2) “Housing First” does not and cannot mean “Housing Only.” Simply moving someone onto a housing subsidy rarely guarantees financial stability, nor will it necessarily treat the underlying issues that caused homelessness in the first place.
3) Evidence-based case management is a key part of any homeless response. Case management must be embraced by both the service provider and the client.
4) Any long-term success must not be judged on the number of people added to government programs or placed in shelter beds; it must be judged on the number of people responsibly moved into independent living with low likelihood of returning to homelessness or financial insecurity.
5) A Wisconsin where no one ever becomes homeless for any reason is unrealistic. A Wisconsin where homelessness is rare, brief, and non-recurring is an achievable goal that we must all strive towards.
6) Progress should be measured by evidence and data. Where adequate data does not exist, Council members should prioritize data collection, sharing, and analysis.
2019-2022 Statewide Action Plan
Institute for Community Alliances (Wisconsin HMIS Administrator)
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
United States Interagency Council on Homelessness
National Alliance to End Homelessness
National Low-Income Housing Coalition
Wisconsin Balance of State Continuum of Care
Milwaukee Continuum of Care
Homeless Services Consortium of Dane County
Continuum of Care for the City and County of Racine, U.A.