The State of Wisconsin is committed to providing woman-owned businesses with a credible certification that validates their business ownership. For purposes of State of Wisconsin contracting, women are not considered minorities. Minority Business Enterprise Certification is based on ethnicity criteria.
WBE certification requires that the business is at a minimum 51% owned, managed and controlled by a woman or women applicant(s). An applicant will be required to provide a copy of business tax returns along with other proprietary documentation to support their application.
- Start-up businesses that do not have business tax documentation that supports their majority ownership of the business may not be considered eligible for WBE certification.
- You are encouraged to review the Pre-Certification Assessment to determine whether you meet the eligibility requirements for WBE certification prior to completing the on-line application.
How to Apply
- Complete an online application and upload the required documentation. Review all on-line instructions carefully.
- Provide access to its business facilities and key personnel for the Certification Consultant's on-site visit.
- Click here for the link to the online application.
Out-of-state Applicants must meet the following administrative code requirements prior to completing the on-line application.
- An out-of-state firm must have equivalent WBE certification from an acceptable and recognizable governmental agency, such as state, county or city in their home state state.
- Proof of home state WBE certification must be provided and submitted to by e-mail to DOABDWBO@wisconsin.gov. A copy of the letter or official document of WBE certification from a governmental agency in the state which the applicant is incorporated or has its principal place of business.
- WBE applicants are required to be performing a useful business function at the time of application in the State of Wisconsin with either a Wisconsin governmental state entity or a business located in the State of Wisconsin. Provide proof of revenue received from a Wisconsin governmental state entity or business located in the State of Wisconsin should be submitted by e-mail to DOABDWBO@wisconsin.gov.
Wisconsin Administrative Code
The WBE certification program was created by and is governed by Administrative Code 83. Applicants should review the administrative code to have a better understanding of the department's application of eligibility criteria in determining ownership, control and daily management.
Contact: For additional information, call 608-267-0297 or email at DOABDWBO@wisconsin.gov.