Skip to main content

Marine Cargo/Transit Insurance

Contact Us

Mailing Address
PO Box 77008
Madison, WI 53707-1008

(608) 267-2731

(608) 264-8250

Marine Cargo InsuranceThe state self-insures its owned and non-owned transit exposures.  It also purchases a separate transit policy for shipments of high valued equipment greater than $100,000 when the state is responsible for its value during shipment of such property either over land, air, or water.

The value of items being shipped must be reported to the Bureau of State Risk Management on a per shipment basis.  Property shipped to a given location and subsequently returned would be considered two shipments and should be reported separately for each way.  For all state agencies, shipments greater than $10,000 should be reported via the online form.

For UW-owned property, all shipments, overseas and domestic that are valued at $50,000 and greater are required to be reported via the online form.  All domestic carry-on equipment/instruments with values of greater than $50,000 should also be reported.

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS- What to do when you need to ship cargo:

ImmediatelyNotify your appropriate risk management contact who will request that you complete the form, "Report of Shipment and Request for Marine Cargo Coverage."  This should be done at least 72 hours prior to time of shipping.

The information that is requested on the web-based form will be applicable to most situations but there may be specialized circumstances that require additional information, usually requiring additional time for purposes of obtaining greater levels of insurance coverage.  In general however, there are some basic details that you should make available whenever a shipment is made:

  • Identification of the shipper
  • Identification of non-state ownership
  • Detailed property description and value
  • Carrier/Transporter information
  • Shipment origination and destination location
  • Request for property coverage at destination 

Click the following link to access the "Shipping Request and Claim Packet" form.  When completed, be sure to print a copy for your records.

If you have questions regarding immediate shipments, please contact the Bureau of State Risk Management, Property and Liability Program Manager at (608) 266-0168.